Sunday, January 24, 2010

How to win friends in 30 minutes or less.

People love ice cream. People love cookies. Give the people what they want.



On the way back from an impromptu Peabody Essex museum visit (shoutout to the Chinese house exhibit!), we made plans for potluck taco night one hour after we got back. Everyone offered something, and I heard myself saying:

"Oh, I'll make an ice cream cake."
"Yeah, sure I'll just throw it together"
"Ok, see you in an hour."

By the time I got back to the apartment and got my act together, making a layer cake and remolding the ice cream to fit as a layer was out of the question. So it was down to a MacGuyver-style how can I fool my friends into thinking I actually made something.

If you ever find yourself in a similar dessert situation, here is what I suggest:

1. Buy a block of cheapo ice cream, the kind that comes in the square cardboard box.

2. Crush a bunch of store bough cookies- I did layers of Oreo and gingersnaps. (Shout out to Mi-Del gingersnaps)

3. Cut ice cream horizontally into four layers. press cookies between each layer and all over outside of cake. Return the cake to the freezer.




4. Whip two egg whites with 2 tablespoons of sugar or so. Set aside. Whip a cup of cream with sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon to taste. Mix the beaten egg whites and the whipped cream. This is your "frosting."

5.Cover the cake with the frosting, using a spatula, a pastry bag or a spoon. Freeze until serving. Once frozen, this cake can survive a 1/2 mile walk to your friend P.'s house for taco night.



The (effort) to (adoration from friends) ratio with this dessert is amazing. I highly recommend it.

(Caveat: it's not that cheap, because you're buying pre-made stuff)

No comments:

Post a Comment