Monday, January 18, 2010

Haymarket Success

(No, this is not an out-of focus picture of organ meat. Read on and you will discover what I was attempting to show)


I went to Haymarket, Boston's outdoor produce market, on Saturday just before closing. The prices (already low) drop drastically at the end of the night. If you're prepared to fight through crowds of Abuelitas and Grannies with sharp sided carts, you just might find a produce seller who will call you sweetie and give you two pounds of grape tomatoes for $1.

Being cheap by nature, I never buy these in the store, so to have two pounds of them is awesome. After eating the good ones, I roasted the rest. As my co-worker Luis says:

"Sale, pepe, olio di olivo*, an' thas' it. "

These are good eatin': alone, on pizza, in a quiche. I of course, froze them, because I have an unnatural fear of running out of food. (In the event of a zombie apocalypse, we will be doing fine here in the apartment).



*yes, I know this is not Spanish. Luis half-translates for us gringos.

No comments:

Post a Comment